A domain name is a unique name that identifies a website. There are many different types of domain extensions you can choose for your domain name. This depends on your business nature. Below is a reference of the correct usage of certain extensions. But there is no hard and fast rule to go for any extension.
- .com - Stands for company/commercial, but it can be used for any web site.
- .net - Stands for network and is usually used for a network of sites.
- .org - Stands for organization and is supposed to be for non-profit bodies.
- .us, .in - They are based on your country names so that you can go for country specific domain extensions.
- .biz - A newer extension on the Internet and can be used to indicate that this site is purely related to business.
- .info - Stands for information. This domain name extension can be very useful, and as a new comer it's doing well.
- .tv - Stands for Television and are more appropriate for TV channel sites.
Other than the domain you will need to select a host. This is a service provider who will keep your website content, on their server, that is connected using hi-speed connections to internet, that will be accessable world over from internet 24hrs/7days. Here are few things you need to look when selecting a host -
- Amount of space in terms of MB OR GB and price offered.
- No of email accounts
- Control panel - This will let you set different parameters for managing your hosting site, such as File manager - To view all your files on host, FTP (Required for transfering files to server), Website Backup programs, Install applications (such as wordpress).
- Amount of databases - This is required if you want to setup wordpress site or if your web site requires databases to store & retrive information. The more the databases the more it will cost.
- Check review of the hosting service provider on net or with your web designer. Some cheap hosting services may provide slower access to your website, may not have good support system, their down time may be more than acceptable etc.